A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Heartfelt Gratitude




This is my last week as guest designer for Heart 2 Heart Challenges.  Being the week of Thanksgiving is it any surprise that this week's theme is "Gratitude?"  This year I am particularly thankful for family, friends, and modern medicine.  Last month my husband had surgery which, although successful, was followed by a difficult recovery.  I owe so many thank you notes to friends, family, and neighbors who brought or sent food, cut our grass, helped with our daughter, and kept him amused when he got bored.  Most of the cards will not be as elaborate as this one, but seeing as this is an inspiration card for a challenge, I had to up my game.

This card uses the faux tile technique.  If you are not familiar with it, here is a tutorial featuring the card that inspired me.  Basically you score your paper on the diagonal, use a mask to sponge lower the edges of each square, and then stamp over the "tile."  Theoretically the image is broken up because the stamp goes across and not into the scored lines.  I used pigment ink which is more opaque to stamp the flower and may have pressed too hard because some of the ink transferred into the scored grooves in a few places, spoiling the tile effect.  To fix this, I pressed a piece of scrap paper perpendicularly into Colonial White ink and then pressed the inked edge into the groove to cover the Eggplant and Thistle ink and make it look like grout.

The only embellishment I used was Fern twine.  I will have to tell you that the new thick twines did not appeal to me until I saw where someone had unraveled the ends.  Now I love it!  I used the new thin foam tape to attach the card front to the card base and the sentiment piece to the card.  This accommodates the thickness of the twine preventing bumps made by the twine below.

Thank you for stopping by!  Now please go check out the projects at Heart 2 Heart Challenges and perhaps be inspired to enter yourself.  You have until the end of the month to enter any of the November challenges.  We wold love to see your work!  Until next time, Hansi

Materials used, all Close to My Heart unless otherwise noted:
Paper:  Colonial White, Thistle, and Eggplant cardstock
Ink:  Cashmere and Fern with Thistle and Eggplant pigment inks
Stamps:  Paper Garden (retired Stamp of the Month), Variety of Thanks (retired Hostess Reward)
Embellishment:  Fern thick twine

4 comments:

  1. Hansi, your card is so pretty. I love the tile technique and inspires me to use it on a future card. And unraveling the end of the twine a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful card! The background looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your beautiful card! I would love to try the tile technique too. You really are a wonderful paper artist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an absolutely stunning card! I love the antique look of it.

    ReplyDelete