A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Trick or Treat in the Rose Garden

 
 


This week the ladies over at Heart 2 Heart are challenging us to "Shape up."  In other words, we are to make a card that is not square or rectangular.  Meanwhile, over in the Rose Blossom Garden, they are celebrating Halloween with bonus points for using the "I|" key on Close to My Heart's new Artbooking Cricut cartridge.  Did I mention that I just got the Artbooking cartridge and need (okay, want) to break it in?  It just so happens that the "I" key includes a pumpkin, so a pumpkin shaped card it is.  I love carving pumpkins so much that I usually do two or three, with one always being a cat.



This card is for my nephew who is away at Virginia Tech and will not be home for our family's annual pumpkin carving party.  I started by cutting three pumpkins, one each in Desert Sand, Sunset and Colonial White cardstock.  Next I cut the Sunset pumpkin apart:



After I sponged the edges to give it dimension, I glued the pieces except for the stem onto the Desert Sand pumpkin.  Then I scored the Desert Sand stem and sponged on some ink.  Next I scored and folded along the top half inch of the Colonial White pumpkin and attached just the top part to the back of the Desert Sand pumpkin, so that you can lift the "Cat-o-lantern" to see the message inside:

 
 
I also used the "I" key to cut the mice, candy and sentiment.  Lastly, I drew and cut the cat face by hand and then sponged everything.  Did you notice that this card has no stamping or embellishments?  It is all Cricut!  Of course this card will be accompanied by a box of appropriate treats...
 
Thank you for stopping by.  Now please take a few minutes to check out the creations at Heart 2 Heart and the Rose Blossom Garden.  Until next time, Hansi 
 
Materials used, all Close to My Heart unless otherwise noted:
Paper:  Mischief (retired), Huntington, Red Barn, Honey, Sunset, Desert Sand and Colonial White cardstock
Ink:  Sunset, Slate, Whisper, Red Barn, Honey
Stamps:  None!



6 comments:

  1. You clever, catty thing, you! (said in a completely complimentary way). Love your kitty gourd, and the addition of the wee mouse is perfect. Your Cricut is smokin' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun. I love that trick or treat sentiment. The mouse adds a great touch for Halloween. Thanks for playing in the Rose Blossom Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hansi - Your pumpkin card is just adorable and I'm sure your nephew will love getting it in the mail (along with the treats of course!) to bring a little cheer to him at college! I was trying to figure out how you got the awesome cat face on the card and then I read all the way through that you hand drew and cut it - fabulous job! I think I'll have to try to find a cut to do it though, I love stamping because my drawing skills are not that good!

    Thanks for sharing your art with us at Heart2Heart Challenges this week!

    Paige - DT
    www.Stampologist.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever and talented lady you are! I love your pumpkin card with a cat face! Thanks for the great tutorial on how to do it. Very cool! Thanks for joining us at Heart to Heart with this fabulous shaped card!
    :) Marie
    p.s. Color My Heart Color Dare would love to have you as a Guest Designer again--please email me at mflayer at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your how-to on this. It's such a clever design! Thanks for playing along with H2H!

    ReplyDelete