A crop party is a modern quilting bee. A group of friends gather to have girl friend time, sharing joys and sorrows while preserving memories and creating a special keepsake.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Bake a Cake in an Envelope for Heart 2 Heart

 
 
 
Since my daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March, I have been learning to bake all over again.  This gluten free "cake" for the Heart 2 Heart challenge. :)  My goal was to make a yellow cake with chocolate icing, so I used the Cricut Artist cartridge to cut two five inch cards using the "Happy Birthday" key on page 70.  The first was from Buttercup cardstock and the second from a sheet in the Chantilly paper pack.  I cut the cupcake holder from the Chantilly card to stick on the Buttercup base and saved the rest for another time.  I then traced the top and *gasp* hand cut the "icing" from Chocolate cardstock (Yes, I still know how to use scissors!), embossed it to get the feel of icing swirls and added "sprinkles."  The challenge also required the use of baker's twine, which I did not have, so I had to make a trip to A.C. Moore. Alas, there was no time for the convenience of having Close to My Heart products delivered to my door.  I also sponged around the edges to give the cake some dimension.  Here is the inside:
 
 
 
 
This was not only my first experience with a shaped card, but it was my first using the Cricut to make an envelope and, boy, was it an experience! 
 
 

 
Much to my frustration, the Cricut would not cut a five inch envelope to go with my five inch card.  Using the "fit to page" feature, I found that the largest envelope it would cut was 4 3/4 inches.  Fortunately, the shape of the card allows for sliding it in at an angle, so the card does fit.  Moral of the story:  If you are planning to make an envelope, make it first to determine the size limit before you expend all that effort to make a card that may not fit.  I stamped the front using chocolate pigment ink which I then clear embossed, so I could color it without smearing.  I used pink Stickles to cover the brown chips to echo what is on the card. A little bit of sponging with Gypsy along the flap adds to the girly girl look.  Thank you for stopping by!  Until next time, Hansi
 
Materials used, all from Close to My Heart unless otherwise noted:
Paper:  Chantilly, Buttercup, White Daisy, and Chocolate cardstock
Ink:  Chocolate, Smokey Plum, Buttercup, Honey, Ruby plus White Daisy and Chocolate pigment inks, Gypsy marker
Stamps:  Joyful Birthday, Cricut Artist Birthday
Embellishments:  Pink and Purple Sparkles, Heirloom Assortment (retired), baker's twine by Darice, button from my stash, Stickles
Other:  Musical Flourishes embossing folder by Cuddlebug




1 comment:

  1. The embossing on the Chocolate Cardstock looks SO REAL, it makes my mouth water! And...the envelope to "tuck it in" is adorable! Thanks for playing along, Hansi!

    ReplyDelete